Cloud computing is a new-age, disruptive technology, the use of which has completely changed, or rather transformed the face of the IT industry beyond imagination. As more and more companies tread the path of digital transformation, they are actively bidding adieu to the old, conventional IT practices, and are making a shift towards the innovative, competent cloud technology which offers them a bounty of benefits in the form of enhanced productivity, lower costs and improved customer experience.
The ability to store and secure data, and being able to access it anytime and from anywhere through the Internet is driving the fast and widespread adoption of this technology by a large number of enterprises. As a result, there is a surging demand for skilled cloud computing professionals, who have the appropriate technical know-how and are willing to make a difference to an organisation’s functioning, though the availability of such talent in the market is by far limited.
Undoubtedly, cloud computing is one of the most lucrative industries of today, and there are numerous roles within its realm, which one could explore, depending upon one’s area of interest and expertise. Some of these verticals are:
1) Administration: Cloud administration is a key function, where one needs to have an expansive knowledge of cloud network, its operations, configuration, management and monitoring. A large number of organisations are also using the DevOps model, which requires professionals to be well-versed with the concept and also be updated with the modern DevOps toolsets.
2) Architecture: This involves overseeing an enterprise’s broad cloud computing strategy, its planning, application design, implementation and management. One must be in sync with the latest technologies and trends and be able to analyse what would fit well in the company’s cloud strategy.
3) Security: With the rising number of cyber security threats, companies are laying extra emphasis on ensuring safety and security of their cloud networks. Apart from having strong technical skills and a fair understanding of the security protocols, a cloud security expert must undertake a formal training and certification such as Certified Information Systems Security Professional. One must master the abilities to design, execute and maintain a cloud security strategy for various cloud infrastructures.
4) Application development: This involves designing and developing secure cloud applications. There has been a growing demand for professionals who could build and deliver apps that can reside in the cloud, and build an innovative future for the company.
Formal education plays an important role here, as it builds your foundation and strengthens your knowledge about cloud computing concepts. These are some of the qualifications that one needs to acquire to explore the future into cloud computing:
- BE – IT/ Computer Science
- BSc. or MSc.
Having a great educational degree alone is not enough to secure an ideal cloud computing career. It is important to have industry-recognised cloud computing certifications in your kitty, as it enhances your prospects of getting a better job. It establishes that your cloud skills are at par with the industry benchmarks, which further helps in building trust amongst the potential employers. Some of the popular certifications are:
- AWS Certification
- Microsoft Azure Certification
- Google Cloud Platform CloudAcademy
- IBM Certified Solution Advisor – Cloud Computing Architecture
- IBM Certified Solution Architect – Cloud Computing Infrastructure
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP)
- Certified Cloud Professional (CCP)
Popular positions include
- Cloud Architect
- Cloud Software Engineer
- Cloud Software Application Engineer
- Coud Security Expert
- Cloud Consultant
- Cloud Services Developer
- Cloud Product Manager
— The writer is Vice President, HR, TO THE NEW
Certainly, there are bright days ahead for cloud computing, as its use is predicted to only grow in the coming years, with more and more companies already planning to jump onto the cloud bandwagon. The technology is currently dominating the IT landscape, and is considered as a necessity by many forward-thinking organizations. It has been estimated that India will need about 3 lakh cloud computing professionals in the coming years, those who could efficiently undertake the practice of cloud deployment and management, and pave the way ahead for enterprises. It’s a right time for the aspiring cloud professionals to jump into the industry and promote mutual growth.